Saturday, October 1, 2016

Fridge Jersey


There is a connection between football and G.I. JOE that has existed ever since that Patriots fan at Hasbro decided to give Bazooka his bright red number 14 jersey.






 A jersey that lets you instantly know that Bazooka is on the scene. Whether or not you consider that a bad thing, we would see two more links to football in the G.I.JOE roster as well as a cartoon dedicated entirely to a scrimmage. Captain Grid Iron with his football grenades and obvious player's helmet. He played a game against Range Viper a former West Point student in his class.
That is one game I think most fans want to forget but has a charm of its own, especially for those kids who never saw the Sunbow series.





There was a real football player on the team as well. In 1985 The Chicago Bears dominated the stadiums and made it all the way to the Super Bowl to became world champs. They even sang about it in a chart topper called the SuperBowl Shuffle

He was no dumb cookie. He was The Refrigerator Perry and he was a star .

He was such a big star that Hasbro took notice. They decided that he needed to join another team, the G.I. Joe team. And he did.

That's right it is William the Refrigerator Perry!

I as a kid had no inkling what football was all about nor did I care to. I did however love my G.I.JOE.
Ironically after basing a uniform on a Patriots team member, two years later Hasbro created a character based on a player from a team that decimated the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

I want to re-capture some of that nostalgia and at the same time create something new.
G.I. JOE is a team and by rights since they have two football players on the docket, they need a uniform.

I want to make custom replica (but not replica) Fridge inspired jerseys.
The colors are not the Carolina blue that was actually used on the Fridge figure. The colors are straight up red white and blue, in the style of the Jersey Perry wore for the commercial.
The team name of GIJOE is on the front of the Jersey.
Number 72.
Fridge on the back of the jersey.
American flag with a white border stands out on the front of the jersey and lets you know this is not a Cobra fashion statement it is a G.I.JOE team.

Here is a mockup of what the jersey will look like:


Notice that it is an original design but still retains the basic look of the Fridge prototype figure seen in the commercial.


Any name and number combination may be used on the jersey.
Wrist bands not included, NOT sold separately.

A high quality jersey, built for the red zone enthusiast who loved his G.I.JOE as well.

My only issue is that to get this made, I need a minimum order of six for the local shop.
I have three team members drafted I need a Quarterback, A Tight End and A Wide Receiver. Heck at this point I will take a Water boy.

If you enjoy the wild podcasters on What's on Joe Mind Then you don't mind mixing in a little football with your Joe talk.

If you want to be a member of this team give me a shout and we will work something out.
(who let Roadblock in here?)




No comments:

Post a Comment